How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the custodial parent of three children ages 11, 13, 15,

Resolved Question:

I am the custodial parent of three children ages 11, 13, 15, I am relocating to the northeast for my health and employment opportunities. My daughter whose age is 13 wants to move with me the two boys would like to stay with him. To spite me he is refusing for her to leave the state. I have to leave by the end of September and need to know how to go about this situation. My ex-husband does not have a valid drivers license due to a Dui just recently.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.
<p>Dear rhonda 616 - You will have to file a motion with the court for a change of custody for the two boys and for permission to move the daughter. This is going to affect child support as well. The courts make their decision based on the best interests of the children.</p><p> </p><p>Your ex has a right to object to the removal of his daughter from the area since it will definitely affect his rights to visitation and being able to be involved in her life. I fully understand your predicament but unless you receive either his or the court's permission you can be found in contempt of court. The court can't prevent you from moving but taking the child is a different matter. </p><p> </p><p>Generally there is a way to arrange long distance visitation however splitting up the children may be of concern to the court. I cannot predict what the outcome will be but I do know you will have to get court approval.</p><p> </p><p>Dave Kennett</p>
Dave Kennett and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions