How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married for 23 years and my husband wants a divorce.

Customer Question

I have been married for 23 years and my husband wants a divorce. We live in the state of Nevada. We do not have property, children or any assets. I have not worked in 5 years.
What are my rights? What should be the next step.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
You have a right to an equitable division of any assets that are marital assets. But if there truely are no assets you have a right to an equitable share of any money in bank accounts or savings accounts or retirement funds. Also you can be awarded alimony for "rehabilitation and training",ie you get alimony for a set period of time until you can get on your feet and work again, or permanantly. It just depends on the lenght of the marriage, the earnings of each spouse, the ability to earn or inability to earn, etc.

The next step is to answer his divore petition and start working on an agreement for division of assets and establishing alimony.
legaleagle and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What percent of alimony would I be entitled to? We live in NV. Our bank accounts are zero. Does he have to pay my medical as well?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Alimony is not set on a percentage. There are too many factors for me to even guess what he may be required to pay. You can ask that he be ordered to pay your medical insurance but it not automatically required for him to do so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do you know where in Las Vegas, NV I can find Free legal advise? or where to start?

Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago. Here is the info for clark county legal aid.

Related Family Law Questions