How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117368
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currenly am providing 100% childcare, residence for a single

Customer Question

I currenly am providing 100% childcare, residence for a single mother and her baby. The baby is with me 90% of the time. The mother wants me to have guardianship papers, just in case something should happen to her.

The father of the baby is an ex-boyfriend who does not contribute financially and sees the baby maybe 1-2 mo, only if the mother arranges it and agrees. They never went to court to establish custody. The father is illegally in the country now and has been for 9 yrs.

The father has threatened the mother with wanting to hurt her, take the baby away.

In the best interst of the baby, I am trying to figure out the next course of action. Plus, since the baby is basically dependent on me for everything, by signing guardianship papers, would that qualify as a dependent for my taxes?

Your advice is appreciated
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If these are credible threats of harm against the mother, then the mother can seek a protective order against the father to prohibit the father from coming near her or the child. If the father has established or acknowledged paternity, then he does have parental rights he could exercise through the courts. If you get the gurardianship papers issued through the court, then you could make the child a dependent of you. You would however need consent of the father to get court ordered guardianship if he has acknowledged paternity or at least would need to send him notice of the petition being filed for guardianship and he would have an opportunity to contest it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Related Family Law Questions