How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a disabled veteran who has been abused by my husband for

This answer was rated:

I am a disabled veteran who has been abused by my husband for 25 yrs. I am not able to work and need daily assistance as I am wheelchair bound with MS. Would I be better off to file a contested divorce to receive the funds, etc I need for the rest of my life?
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The simple fact is that if your husband is not willing to enter into a divorce settlement agreement whereby he provides you with the spousal support that you will need to live on, then you will be in a position where you will need to have a hard fought trial in order to get what you deserve.

You should first attempt to negotiate, and failing that, aggressively go after him in a contested divorce.

I wish you the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,


LawTalk and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you