How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31769
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a Canadian citizen, can I sue a Mississippi resident for

Resolved Question:

As a Canadian citizen, can I sue a Mississippi resident for Alienation of Affection?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
Hi - I practice in Mississippi. You can sue in Mississippi.

Alienation of affection is a lawsuit in which one party claims that the defendant deprived them of the affection of their spouse. This almost always arises against a party to a marriage's girlfriend or boyfriend- called a paramour. These cases are very popular in Mississippi, and we are one of the few states in the country that still recognizes them as a viable cause of action.

Not every situation merits an alienation of affection lawsuit. You must really consider the strength of your marriage before your spouse's affair and whether or not the paramour actually has enough money to make your case worthwhile.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Will it cost much to persue this, or are the cases taken on a percentage of the settlement?

Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
All attorneys are different. Most would take this case at a reduced hourly rate. However, you're really just going to have to call around and see who will give you the best deal.
Roger and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you