How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After 23yrs. of my wife telling me how much she hated my last

This answer was rated:

After 23yrs. of my wife telling me how much she hated my last name, which we shared. Now that we're divorced she wouldn't change back to her maiden name for love nor money. She has in the past and probably will in the future done things that aren't illegal, but I feel is not honest or ethical. My question is is there anything I can do to make her stop using my good last name ?
<p>DearCustomer- You cannot force someone to change their name. If she does anything that directly affects you or your reputation you have the right to sue for slander and/or liable. Once she legally had your last name she had a right to either keep it or change it but you have no control over the situation. I would assume that your friends and acquaintances know you and know that your are not associated with your ex at this time. </p><p> </p><p>If her actions cause a problem with some other third party you can file a suit.</p><p> </p><p>Dave Kennett</p>
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you