How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 5 year old great-nephew that the mother doesnt want

Resolved Question:

I have a 5 year old great-nephew that the mother doesn't want and the grandfather doesn't want. They brought him to my house. How difficult will it be in Indiana to get legal guardianship? I do not know the whereabouts of the mother or father.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Without knowing the whereabouts of the natural mother or father, if you petition the courts to appoint you as legal guardian you run the risk that the child will be taken from you. While you will be considered as a placement possibility, the court is not obligated to place your great-nephew with you. He could be placed in a foster home.

If you could locate either the mother or father, perhaps you could get around this issue. For that you would likely need an experienced attorney.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,


LawTalk and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you