How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34754
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a single mom with the childs father living in her apt providing

Resolved Question:

a single mom with the child's father living in her apt providing no financial assistance, no job, and a court case pending is moving out because he won't leave apt. What does she do to make sure she has custody and he is responsible for some sort of child support even if he can't provide it at this time
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
What is the nature of the pending court case? Does mom have a lawyer?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
DUI, property damage and the mom has no attorney.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.

So mom is headed to court for DUI? And has no attorney? Why is this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No the father is the one with the DUI case pending.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for that

Is dad on the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.

Well, if dad is on birth certificate but there is not a court order, both parents have the rights to custody of the child. If your concern is to limit dad's access, you should consider taking him to court for a determination of custody/child support. If you contact child services for your county they can help with this.

P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you