How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is an informal child support agreement that was notarized,enforced

Customer Question

Is an informal child support agreement that was notarized,enforced by the courts in New Jersey?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

It would not be enforceability as child support without court approval. You can consider filing a petition for child support and introducing the agreement into evidence. The court can then award child support including arrearages.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What I meant was several months ago I signed a letter my ex-girlfriend had written up for me to pay $2400.00 a month for child support and bills that we had incurred together. My name is XXXXX XXXXX any of these bills and she is calling this alimony even though we were not married. I signed it and she had it notarized. I make approx. $100k a year and she makes approx. 45k a year. I cannot afford a lawyer and was wondering if you thought if she brought this to court the judge would side with her since I signed this?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

If your ex-gf files suit for child support the court will grant her child support according to guideline. Click here for official guideline. For an easy approximation, click here.