How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My kids call me from there grandmothers and told me there mother

This answer was rated:

My kids call me from there grandmothers and told me there mother was out of control and wanted me to pick them up. The mother has a histrory of violence. the grandmother (mothers mother) asked me to keep the kids because she felt they were not safe with the mother. this happened yesterday and I've kept the kids. Should I go to court today to motion for temporay custody or call CAS or see a family lawyor first?


Good Evening


Thank you for choosing JustAnswer, I will be glad to help you with your question


For the safety of the children, immediately retain a local attorney experienced in Family Law, tell the attorney what is going on and ask that he immediately file an Emergency Petition for Special Relief for Temporary Custody.


The Emergency Petition should be used because the Court sets a hearing within approximately 48 hours of its filing and the Order accompanying the Petition is signed immediately at the hearing; additionally the hearing is ex parte which means that because of the nature of the Petition, no notice is required to be given to the other parent and takes place outside of their presence.


You will tell the judge you are not trying to do anything without the mother's knowledge and you are filing the Petition because the mother needs help; you can ask the grandmother to testify as to what is going on with her daughter which she has seen first hand.


When the children's mother gets the treatment she needs, things can go back to normal for the children.


If you have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me. You can do so by putting my name at the beginning of your question.



Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for my work.

Making a deposit does not constitute an acceptance of my answer; unless you press the ACCEPT button.


Leaving positive feedback, Bonus, etc., are always appreciated.


Thank you and Good Luck!



Member, NY & PA Bar

ANDREA, and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions