How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has been paying spousal support to his x wife and he

Resolved Question:

My son has been paying spousal support to his x wife and he is now unemployed. Can he get the amount of his payment lowered? He lives in California.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 years ago.
Possibly. Your son would need to file pleadings requesting the reduction in his support. The request would be based on his reduced income level.

A couple things....

The unemployment must be involuntary. In other words, he certainly won't be able to get a reduction if he quit his job.

He should be doing everything he can to again obtain employment. A judge won't be very sympathetic if he is sitting at home watching television and eating chips.

It would also be helpful if the unemployment seems likely to continue for sometime. A judge won't grant a reduction if employment seems to be on the horizon.

Assuming your son can meet these criteria, it would seem beneficial to at least try to take the matter back to court, if nothing else, it will show he is being proactive with the matter.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!
Joseph and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you