How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Advocate4You Your Own Question
Advocate4You, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 115
Experience:  Experienced in various family law issues.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Advocate4You is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been laid off and have just now started back to work,

Customer Question

I have been laid off and have just now started back to work, but am also starting back to college so that I can earn a degree and benefit me income in the future....the problem is....I will be going to college every Saturday morning from 9 - 12., and I work on Friday nights....I will be unable to pick my kids up on my scheduled visitation weekend until Saturday after lunch....can I still pick my kids up even though I can't pick them up until Saturday around lunch?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Advocate4You replied 7 years ago.
To be on the safe side, I would memorialize any deviation from a court ordered visitation schedule in writing. You may want to contact the custodial parent and get something in writing showing proof of an agreement that it is okay to pick the children up at this time or request a modification of the order due to a change in your circumstances.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has been letting me pick them up on Saturday mornings so far...but, now she is being very hard to get along with....and said I would have to comply with the standard visitation rights and only them...Isn't my weekend been given to me for that whole weekend as long as I give her proper early enough notification....Isn't it still my time for me to have them. can she keep me from getting them just because I can't pick them up on Friday night?
Expert:  Advocate4You replied 7 years ago.

It appears that you have made a reasonable request due to a change in your schedule. Particularly since your change in schedule is related to accomplishing educational and career goals, you may want to consider voicing your concerns to the court. If you are paying child support, you cannot legally be prevented from seeing your children and I would argue that if you are trying to honor your visitation order, but a change in circumstances requires a modification of the visitation times, you cannot be prevented from seeing your children. Visitation orders may be modified at any time. The courts give a great deal of weight to what is in the best interests of the children. It would not be in the best interest of the children to completely deny them the opportunity to spend time with their parent merely due to a change in the parent's schedule.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just a few more questions....thank you so much for talking with me. She will not send me anything from their school, such as a copy of report cards, sporting events their in, doctors appointments or anything.....and when I go to the doctors office to ask if they have an appointment for a check up or anything, they said they were not at liberty to give me that information. I was the one that set them up at the dentist, and she has told them not to give me any information about them....It is in my divorce decree that I am allowed all of this information. She doesn't send me medical bills so that I can pay my half...I have asked her and sent her emails concerning this severeal , a year later she sends me a letter wanting $1,200 for medical bills from the past year....I can't afford to give that to her all at once and if I don't she said she was going to take me to court......I wanted them every month so that I could afford to pay them, but she would never send them!
Expert:  Advocate4You replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like there are things occurring that are a violation of your order. You may want to report these violations to the court as soon as possible. If either party violates any order or agreement, the party may be held in contempt of court, among other things. I hope this helps.

Related Family Law Questions