How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118089
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister, her 6 yr old son, our mother and I all currently

Resolved Question:

My sister, her 6 yr old son, our mother and I all currently live together. He was born with a medical condition so for financial reasons we chose to share a home to take care of him (his father has seen him about 10 times since he was born). My issue is my sister does not take care of her son. Grandma and I do. We purchase all of his DME products, all school supplies, clothes, toys, etc. I handle his day to day care, take him to school, prepare his meals, put him to bed. My sister does as little as possible and spends most of her time going out, never saying goodbye to her son or asking about him when she returns (whenever that may be). I am VERY concerned she will try to remove him to move in with her newest boyfriend and disrupt his current stable enviroment. She does not make the best choices and frequently hangs out with people I know are being watched for drugs (we live in a small town). If it cames to it, is there anything I can do to gain custody for his saftey and hlth
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The problem here is that without getting child protection involved, I am afraid you would really not have grounds to win any court custody case for the child. The grandmother of the child would have the best chance to try such a case and would have to prove the mother to be incompetent to care for the child. However, if the mother proves she is competent then grandmother would not succeed. The best way to try this is to get the mother to agree to court ordered guardianship by convincing her that it makes it easier for grandmother to deal with the needs of the child when she is away. Once you can get her to agree to give guardianship in court, then she cannot get that removed unless the court removes it and then grandmother can make her arguments about the mom being not capable of taking back guardianship (this is a bit of a backhanded way of accomplishing this, but it is better than the last resort of using child protection).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you