How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a man and want to get joint custody of my child we live

Resolved Question:

i am a man and want to get joint custody of my child we live about 45 miles away from each other now and have not filed for divorce yet but now she is wanting to get a lawyer and take it to court. Do i have any rights to joint custody of my daughter and is it a one week on one week off or can we make our own visitation schedule?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Joint custody is the preferred custodial arrangement. You can decide on what visitation schedule works for the both of you. The standard visitation is every other weekend. Block of time in the summer, and 1 evening a week. Holidays are split. Joint custody does not mean you each have the child equal amount of time. For example the one evening a week may not work for you. You might opt for an extra weekend a month.


If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Jack R. and 9 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i would like to have her half the time is that possible

Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

It is possible, but a week on and a week off cannot work when you are so far apart. Eventually the child will go to school. It would be an extreme hardship to have to commute 45 miles and aback to school every other week. The best bet is to ask for a larger block of time e.g. 7 weeks in the summer.



If this answer was informational please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.


Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.


Related Family Law Questions