How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced and the court granted my husband and I 50/50

Customer Question

I am divorced and the court granted my husband and I 50/50 custody. My ex and I drew up and agreement that my daughter would live with me in California, while he stays in Arizona during the school year. I drew up the contract and e-mailed it to him. He told me to make one change and sign the contract. Now when I drive to Arizona and have piced up my daughter and am ready to return to California he notified me that if I leave with her he will call the police. What are my rights? Can I leave with my dauter or not?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
Since you have court ordered 50/50 custody you can leave with her unless there is something in the court order that would prevent her from leaving the state. I have no idea what the court order says but usually the order sets out each party's custody rights. Here you have to follow the court order. Any agreement would have to be entered in court to be enforceable.