How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I would like some legal advice . I have a four year daughter

Customer Question

Hi, I would like some legal advice . I have a four year daughter and her biological mother pass away three days after she was born due to complications with the pregnancy. Well 4 years later I remarried this past July. My daughter's biological mother's parents have continually lied to me and my wife and constantly do not obey our wishes when they visit or when they would keep my daughter for the day to play. They do not respect us as parents and just make life as hard as possible. We advise them if they continue to not respect our wishes their time spent with my daughter would start decreasing. They advise me that would not happen and they said I have pushed them too far. They said I am declining them of legal rights to see their granddaughter. Now please let me advise the grandfather has been physical with his family before and has a strong temper, I have not witnessed him hitting anybody personally but I have heard him being very angry and threaten physical violence before.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
Here what you describe about the grandfather could be said about a lot of people and is not sufficient for a court to deny them visitation. Here they can take you to court and likely get court ordered visitation. If there are problems you need to document those problems and also put them in writing explaining why those actions should stop. Remember that you are writing the letter with the possibility it will be read by a judge.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The grandmother lost their home due drug related issues that I may not be able to prove so I don't know if I can use that. But as you can see we do not feel it is in our daughter's best interest for them to be a part of her life at the current time. Also just overall delibertly disobeying our orders for my daughter, is all of this not cause for a judge to deny their request if they do pursue this further?
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
Here you have not provided enough evidence to convince a judge they should not have visitation.