How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal to record or video someone without them knowing

Resolved Question:

Is it legal to record or video someone without them knowing it and use it against them in court?? I am going through a separation and a child is involved so I am going to court with him for childsupport but not sure if he is allowed to use a video or recording of me yelling at the kids for just the simplest thing about getting to bed. Not hitting them or harming them whats so ever just yelling. Also he has a record of drinking and driving and has lost his liscence twice now. Can I use that against him so I can have my child more than him?? Please let me know as soon as possible so I can figure out what I can do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
While only the consent of one party is needed for making audio recordings, as far as the video recordings the issue becomes the expectation of privacy in the place where the video was shot. If the video was taking where he had a lawful right to be, then the audio/video recording can be used as evidence in the court. If he had no right to be there then you would seek to surpress it based upon an invasion of privacy. His prior drinking and driving could be grounds for supervised visitation at the least and you can raise that issue with the court for their consideration.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you