Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my son and i moved to utah february, 09 and his father and

Customer Question
i came before a judge...
my son and i moved to utah february, 09 and his father and i came before a judge and he told us to work out the papers and send them back. well papers were doctored up and because it included child support, the father is refusing to sign. we have been here 10 days shy of 6 months. do i contact the judge in nevada, where this all first started or do i file another motion here in utah? our son was with me for the first 5 years of his life, and was with his father for 3 years, and now back with me. he says he wants to file for his child support from me, which we never had papers stating i would pay. i told him that's fine but he makes more money than me. another child support order he has is for 580. but he has recently quit his job. will the judge take in account his other order for his child support or his unemployment
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/2/2009
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thanks for your question. I woudl contact Utah child supprot here and they will work the case from Utah. If the father won't pay they will go to court with you in Nevada. They try to work this in Utah informally by contacting him.

Otherwise they have to return to court in Nevada and you will have to attend as well. The father here has to pay and the cotu will order him to do so if necessary and order withholding from his wages. I wish you good luck here
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
i have contacted utah child support already and they have opened a case. should i contact the family court in nevada to get a mediation resheduled or just let the judge decide?
Yes Nevada for mediation of custody issues only. The Utah folks should deal with child support..
a question wasn't answered in the first question. will the judge take in account his other child support order (for another child) or his unemployment
Child support is based on number of dependents and income--so yes they are factors here in computing child support..
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer