Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Ichisijfasijf I have a daughter who is 16 year old we live

Ichisijfasijf I have a daughter...
Ichisijfasijf

I have a daughter who is 16 year old we live in Ca and also have 3 other daughters.My 16 year has lived with me since 99 when her mom went to jail with her boyfriend for selling drugs with children around I had her served and got physical and living custody from a judge and the judge at the time did not award child support due to the fact she was an jail I never got any child support since she bounced around she has been in and out of her life for the last 11 years about a year ago I filed for child support about and her mom broke my daughter down by saying she can't afford it so my daughter was very upset so I didn't follow through about 3 weeks ago my daughter said she was moving with her mom and now after 3 weeks she filed for child support I pay for her health,medical vision and everything else for the last 11 years now my daughter is living with her mom and boyfriend and who knows what they are doing .My daughter is 16 please give me some help on what to do
8/1/2009
Attorney & Mediator
Unless the current support order has been terminated, you are entitled to collect on the arrears if she has not paid support.

As to custody, legally right now you have rights to custody under the current court orders unless the court has already awarded mom custody. However since the child is 16, the court is unlikely to have the child return to you and will most likely award custody to mom if the child wants to live with her. Unfortunately if mom gets custody you will not be able to prevent paying child support. Support is for the benefit of the child so if mom gets custody the court will issue an order that you pay mom. You will still be entitled to the arrears for the support mom has not paid.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

are you meaning arrears from 11 years ago or from a year ago This is what the judge put on Jun 2 1999 There shall be no order for child support at this time due to the financial situation of the mother however the court shall reserve jurisdiction over this issue does this mean i can go after the 11 years signed and dated by the judge

That language means you can go back to court for the Judge to consider the issue whether support should be issued and whether it should be applied retroactively. Whether it will go back 11 years will depend on the Judge, but there is a possibility since the court reserved jurisdiction over the issue.

Right now you need to prevent custody if you can show that the current living situation is harmful to the child, that would be the only way to avoid you from being paid child support. Although a child her age has a say, the court will look at all circumstances to see if the child's request for a change in custody is best for the child.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer