How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I need some legal advice. My husband was served with

Resolved Question:


I need some legal advice.
My husband was served with paternity papers and forms for child support yesterday.
We live in GA. I was not aware that this child was born. WE have been married for 15 years and had a happy marriage until yesterday. The mother of the baby lives in North Carolina.

She has destroyed my home, my finances, and my relationship with my husband.
I was an innocent by stander. I was not even aware this affair took place until yesterday. It was kept secret from me .

I want to know what legal leg I have to stand on.

Thank you ,
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
The only recourse you have is whether you wish to remain married or pursue divorce.

In GA there is no legal recourse against the "home wrecker". You also don't qualify for an annulment since that issue only relates to the time you entered into the marriage. If the affair took place after the marriage, it is not subject to an annulment.

Upon a divorce, the adultery/marital misconduct is a relevant factor which can help you get alimony or a fair distribution of the marital assets depending on the particulars of your marriage.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX child support. You are not responsible for his child support obligations. Your income should not be factored into the calculation. However joint assets may be considered, so you may wish to consider opening separate accounts.

So sorry to hear what you are now going through. I wish you well with this.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you