How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa M. Your Own Question
Lisa M.
Lisa M., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience:  I have been a family, real estate and income tax attorney for over 2 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lisa M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 59 year old disabled woman , my husband of 14 years

This answer was rated:

I am a 59 year old disabled woman , my husband of 14 years walked out on me 5 weeks ago with all control of the money.I had no food or money or means of going to Dr.,I do have a car and he has a truck of equal value,but I had no money for gas.I asked for money he gave for 100 dollars and wrote loan in memo.Now he's telling me I have to pay him rent on the house we own together,and I can't touch any of the IRA money,which was started after the marriage,I am forced to live on 650 a month that I recieve for my disability.I have had 4 back sergurys and 3 neck sergurys in the last ten years ,still not able to work or take care of myself. Do I have any rights and what are they? I can't afford a lawyer,any help will appreciated please respond.

Thanks for using




Your husband CANNOT charge you rent for living in a house that you own together. Nor can he take control of all of the money or control the IRA. He is bullying you!


Do you know if he intends on filing for divorce? and what state are you in?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Louisiana ,he thinks I did,my bluff to him . but he does have a lawyer so he may have filed
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm from Louisiana need help with first question and wouild like to know how do I get money from him without a Lawyer he cancel my gas card and has all control of everything else please help,no food no money nothing.that is the type of person he is, selfish,mentaly and verbally abusive
Dear susigr22,

I'm sorry for your situation. Unfortunately, it's not a unique one. This happens to so many clients and the one's that cannot afford an attorney fall through the cracks.

You can seek help from legal aid or a local attorney. Upon filing for divorce or answering your spouse's complaint for divorce, you can request that he be responsible for the legal fees. Generally, an attorney is going to seek money up front. Hopefully, you can find one in legal aid (or the public defender's office) that will do it for free or low cost. Some attorneys will accept payment plans.

To get money from him, you should also request alimony. You can file a motion with the court demanding that he continue to pay you temporary alimony and cover the household expenses. This is called a pendente lite motion. Call your local clerk for information regarding this.

Seek an attorney to help you create these papers.

Good luck. If I have answered your question, please press the accept button so I can be paid. If you need anything further, please let me know.

Yours truly,
Lisa M.

Thank you for your JustAnswer request. Please be advised that since each State has different laws, I am not able to give you a complete answer that a local attorney may provide. Additionally, this answer does not constitute legal advice and there no attorney-client relationship between us. You understand that Lisa M. is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.

Lisa M., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience: I have been a family, real estate and income tax attorney for over 2 years.
Lisa M. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you