How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

when a mother has full custody of a child and the biological

This answer was rated:

when a mother has full custody of a child and the biological father faithfully pays child support every month without fail, and only has weekend visiting rights every other weekend and holiday, does the mother have the legal right to sign over power of attorney to her father (the grand father of the child) to take custody of the child without any consent from the father or the courts neither verbally nor legally documented and without documents being signed by the father or anyone in the court system?
Mom would need to have sole legal rights (meaning she has the right to make all legal decisions on behalf of the child). If dad shares legal custody (meaning shares legal decision making power with regards XXXXX XXXXX child's upbringing), then dad would need to agree to the power of attorney. Although mom can give temporary authorization over to the grandfather, the father then has the right to file for a change in custody to get custody over to him if mom is no longer able to take care of the child.
Mom should not transfer all of her rights to custody over to grandfather without a court hearing to modify the existing custody orders. If mom is not able to care for the child now, dad would have primary rights in getting custody.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions