How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42869
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 15 yr old daughter has gotten pregnant by a 21 yr old

This answer was rated:

Our 15 yr old daughter has gotten pregnant by a 21 yr old boy. She talked to school counselor regarding her situation & she reported it to law enforcement. We were very surprised to hear about this but now we just want to support the two of them, thru this. I (father) know the boys family he is a good boy & has been there every step of the way thru my daughters pregnanacy. The problem we are having is threats from the sheriffs dept because of the boys age. What can we do to keep the sheriffs dept out of this & let them be happy with their new addition, as we are supporting them in every way that we can. They have enough to worry about much less the legal actions that the county attorney is threatening. She will remain living with us until she turns 18. We are just trying to find a way to keep the authorities out of this. What are our options?

        &n bsp;                                                                                       Concerned Parent in AZ
Thanks for your question. Well the reality here is that it is crime here. The fact is that she is underage and consent here is not an issue. You may well have to cooperate here or face liability for obstructing justice. I understand that you want to protect all here but the boy here has to face the legal cosnequences in the matter.

He may well be charged and your daughter may have to testify. You don't have the option here to decline to prosecute in the matter. And as a parent if you don't cooperate the they could get protective services on you.

My advice is to do what they ask here. The boy will have to deal with the legal consequences. To do otherwise is to risk loosing custody of your daughter and you don't wan that. You really can't do otherwise as your custodial rights are at issue as well as the daughters for your grandchild here..I am just trying to protect you and the daughter here in this situation.


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you