How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A child is over 18, has not graduated from High School and

Customer Question

A child is over 18, has not graduated from High School and is beginning senior year. Father who by order cannot make educational decisions for the child; enrolls child in a school unbeknownst to the mother. Can he be held in contempt of court? He has used bribery and manipulation of fear tactics to do so.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

At age 18, the child is legally emancipated and considered an adult. An 18 year old, even one still in high school, can make his own decisions. That said, if the child agreed to enroll in a specific school, it does not appear that the father can be held in contempt.

Related Family Law Questions