How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

have full custudy of daughter she is 17 and she now went to

Customer Question

have full custudy of daughter she is 17 and she now went to cali to live with her mom who has no custudy and no visitation she got there threw her moms cusin who she visited in fl for the spring break she sent her to CA without my consent, now im being asked to lower child support and i dont care about the money its the issue of custudy. daughter doesnt want to live with me if i stay in jesery, i feel she is 17 she can make her own descison and the mom is now saying child aboundabent im saying kid napping ... help
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Well it's neither abandonment or kidnapping in the case of a 17 year old. Virtually every court will approve of the move if the child wants to live with the other parent so there is really nothing to argue about.


If the mother wants to amend the child support she will have to do so through the courts. You can simply do nothing and the support will stay the same until the mother files for a change of custody. At that point the child support will be adjusted.


You really don't have to file anything and if the mother files for the change you would be wasting your time to object. In less than a year your daughter will be and adult and can do whatever she pleases so getting involved in a court battle at this point makes no sense.


Dave Kennett

Related Family Law Questions