How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. Family law, child custody and support, domestic violence.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son lives in ca. His wife threw him out. He is an alcohol

Customer Question

My son lives in ca. His wife threw him out. He is an alcoholic. He has not one friend or relative in the desert where he job No money and his truck broke down and was towed. We all live in Chicago. He is on probation and can not leave the state. They have 4 children. For the last 2 1/2 weeks he has been homeless then He had a pancreatic attack and was in the hosp.for five days. They released him today and he still has nowhere to go. He is becoming suicidal and I am terrified!I can not believe this is happening. He tried to get into a sober house and can't. I don't really blame her for doing this but my son is sick . He could die! The land lord doesn't want him there which is another story.Aren't there any laws to protect him from being tossed out like a piece of garbage . This is a 10year marriage. I would never ever let this happen to my Daughter in-law. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 8 years ago.

The law has a few protections for spouses. Your son could petition the divorce court for alimony (spousal support).

California Family Code Sec. 4300 states that spouses have a duty to support each other. This applies to both wives and husbands. Therefore, your son has a chance to receive an award for both temporary support while the divorce is pending, and longer term support following the divorce.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not legal advice. This forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of knowledge. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm, and I am only licensed to practice law in Illinois. You should consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.