How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if getting a divorce and her lawer is trying to serve me papers

Resolved Question:

if getting a divorce and her lawer is trying to serve me papers do they have to be served to me our can someone else except them without your nolage?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.
Service can be effectuated by serving the person or certain substitutes. Acceptable substitutes could include another adult that lives in the same home or that works at the same location. So, to answer your question, no, you do not need to be personally served.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click the green ACCEPT button so that I may receive credit for my response. Your question will not close and you will be permitted to follow up, if necessary. A positive response and/or bonuses are not necessary but greatly appreciated. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so if the person dont live at your home can they still except the papers without your nolage
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.
No, it can't be just any random adult that doesn't live in your home, there must be some connection between the person to be served and the person that accepts service. As to knowledge, since it must be someone with some connection, the law presumes that the documents, or "knowledge", will be passed on.
Joseph and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you