Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Whats the legally appropriate way to serve California divorce

Customer Question
What's the legally appropriate way...
What's the legally appropriate way to serve California divorce papers to an American living in Austria? Are personal service and certified mail, both legally accepted methods by the California court?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2009
Family Lawyer: JaxLawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 8 years ago
JaxLawyer
JaxLawyer, Family Law Attorney

California will accept whatever method of service is acceptable in Austria, or you can petition the court for permission to serve the papers by alternative method, i.e. personal service or certified mail.

Thanks for the previous answer. How does one petition the California court to serve papers in Austria by personal service?

Once you file the petition and have the summons issued, you will then have a case number XXXXX the case will be assigned to a judge. You have to file a "Motion for Alternative Service". If you need a template, you should contact the family law self-help center (most courts have one) and ask if they have forms for motions. You can use the template for any motion (i.e. if all you can find is a Motion for Contempt, you can follow that format because all motions are basically the same).

Once you file the Motion, you have to request a hearing where you will go before the judge and explain the circumstances and why you need permission for an alternative form of service.

JaxLawyer
JaxLawyer, Family Law Attorney
Thank you! I'd be interested to know if you have experience with Hague Convention Cases.
I have limited experience with international cases, but only German child support cases.
JaxLawyer
JaxLawyer
JaxLawyer, Family Law Attorney