How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my fiance and i bought a house together 12 years ago, we looked

Customer Question

my fiance and i bought a house together 12 years ago, we looked for it together. we put it in his name only because his credit was so good. i have put every penny i have made through the years into it. now we are splitting up and he says i have nothing it's his house. any advice
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.

Normally ownership is demonstrated by the name on the deed. You can try to challenge the ownership by showing the house was purchased as a joint venture between the two of you. You will need to show what it is you put into the home.


You will need to hire an attorney to help you with this. A judge could find that the money you put into the home is the equivalent of rent. If you have tax returns showing you deducted interest payments or other proof of ownership this will go a long way to show you are a co-owner.


If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.