How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex just signed the final drgree on my divorce 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question

My ex just signed the final drgree on my divorce 2 weeks ago. I was not notified that he was doing it so i wasnt there. The court says i defaulted because they never recieved my answer to the divorce papers i was served. i faxed an answer to them back in feb, i have a fax confirmation and my credit card was charged. The judge would not change my name because i was not present. what are my options for having my name changed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

You mean back to your maiden name?


What state are you in?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes my maiden name. I am in Texas
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

Then you only have one - you will have to file a Petition for Change of Name, pay a filing fee that will cost about $200 depending on the county in which you reside, and appear before a judge to request that the name change be granted.


Since the judge already wouldn't grant your request - that is the only way for you to get back your maiden name.