How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am financially unable to pay child support Case description

Resolved Question:

I am financially unable to pay child support
Case description: I have 2 child supports to pay to 2 children from 2 different mothers. First one started back in 2002 to my ex-wife that I have been seperated from for 10 years (but not officially divorced). Second one was initiated in 2007 to my girlfriend who had my son in 2001 (we have never been married). Both child support amounts were based on my former income of 32000 per year for the years of 1999-2007. In 2007 I moved from MA to FL and changed jobs, since then I have been working as a private tennis instructor and my cash flow has become insufficient to sustain not only child support payments but also my personal expenses. I am now living at a friend's house, I don't have any assets, and currently making around 5000 per year. I want to send an appeal to court to lower my child support payments.
How much can I reduce my payments and how can I initiate the process?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
You need to file a motion to modify your support obligation with the courts that originally issued the support order. Some courts have forms online or you can call the court clerk and see if they have forms at the court house for modification of orders. If not, there is a site that will draft state specific forms for you, or you can go to a local law library and ask for a family law form book to find a form that you complete to file with the courts for modification.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What documents do I need to show to the court to prove that I am not financially able to pay current child support?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
Give copies of your wage stubs for the last two to three years (just years where your income has decreased) or you tax returns to show that you have had a decrease in income.
legaleagle and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions