How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was ordered to pay child support and have done so for the

Resolved Question:

I was ordered to pay child support and have done so for the 19 years Nebraska child support laws indicate in fact the state has stopped collecting and even sent me back a small overpayment a year ago. My son is now 20 and past the age of majority. However, his mother is now calling and saying I need a lawyer due to the fact that she is going to go back and have a review done based on all tax returns and try to get additional monies. I thought this was over - and even helped my son get a truck at a large expense to myself. Can a mother in Nebraska try to go back even though this is all in the past?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Unless you owe any back child support, the court is not going to reopen a case that has now been closed. The mother had plenty of opportunity to request review while the child was a minor if she did not believe payments were correct. If you have been current with all payments, then there is no case to address here. Further when a court issues a child support order, the amount ordered is presumed to be correct, if she was not happy with the amount ordered she could have requested review then. But if she just sat on her rights and accepted the amount that was ordered, she has no case to now dispute the amounts where wrong. In my legal opinion she has no case and cannot go back once the case has concluded.

I would still encourage you get an attorney to file the appropriate objections to request dismissal of her petition for review.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you