Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a granddaughter, 8 yrs old, her mother does not return

Customer Question
calls or ignores me when...
I have a granddaughter, 8 yrs old, her mother does not return calls or ignores me when I want to see child. Can a grandparent have visition rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2009
Family Lawyer: JPEsq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer
In some States the grandparents have rights. What State are you in and is your child the custodial parent?

My son is not the cusdoial parent. He has not paid Child Support, they are still legally married but have been separated for 7 years. He has been taken to court by child's mother but on the court date she does not show up and the court takes no action. We live in the state of Texas. Both my son and I help the mother when she needs financial assistance for the child, such as school clothes and in general items, when she does call us, which seems to be the only time she calls when she needs something and that when she lets us see the child or stay over for a weekend. I am willing to pay the child support since my son does not work but I want to see the child regularly

Since your son has been away more than 3 months, under Texas law, you have the right to petition the court for Grandparent visitation.

Here is a copy of the Texas Statute: http://www.jerrymelton.com/TXgpaccess355.htm

The amount and length of your visits will depend on the child's best interests, and varies from case to case.

You do not have to pay support, visitation and support are not connected.

JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer
JPEsq.
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer