How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a granddaughter, 8 yrs old, her mother does not return

Resolved Question:

I have a granddaughter, 8 yrs old, her mother does not return calls or ignores me when I want to see child. Can a grandparent have visition rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 8 years ago.
In some States the grandparents have rights. What State are you in and is your child the custodial parent?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My son is not the cusdoial parent. He has not paid Child Support, they are still legally married but have been separated for 7 years. He has been taken to court by child's mother but on the court date she does not show up and the court takes no action. We live in the state of Texas. Both my son and I help the mother when she needs financial assistance for the child, such as school clothes and in general items, when she does call us, which seems to be the only time she calls when she needs something and that when she lets us see the child or stay over for a weekend. I am willing to pay the child support since my son does not work but I want to see the child regularly

Expert:  JPEsq. replied 8 years ago.

Since your son has been away more than 3 months, under Texas law, you have the right to petition the court for Grandparent visitation.


Here is a copy of the Texas Statute:


The amount and length of your visits will depend on the child's best interests, and varies from case to case.


You do not have to pay support, visitation and support are not connected.

JPEsq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you