How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the custodial parent lives in new york, the child lives

Customer Question

If the custodial parent lives in new york, the child lives in florida under the guardianship of the custodial parent's parents. does the non custodial parent have the right to take custody of the child in the state of florida?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for trusting our JA team for guidance.


Jurisdiction of the FL courts would be proper since that is where the chid is currently residing. The courts prefer children be in the custody of their parents rather than non-parents if at all possible. So, the non-custodial parent may be able to get custody of the child depending on the best interests of the child.


Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX



Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Tina and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so, can I take temporary custody of my child until I go to court to take full custody?
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

You could requestion that you be given temporary custody of the child while the motion for permanent custody is pending.


Good luck to you.