How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At what age can a child refuse to go with a non-custodial parent

Resolved Question:

At what age can a child refuse to go with a non-custodial parent for a lengthy visit away from their permanent home.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma

The unfortunate fact is that, as a general rule a child can not refuse to participate in visitation, even if it is lengthy. Visitation is a parental right intended to allow the non-custodial parent to assist in the raising of their child. It is not always a happy time for the child involved--for varied reasons--but it is something that the court will enforce. Only an agreement by the parent entitled to visitation, to forgo a visitation period, will be effective in eliminating the visit.

Once the child reached the age of 18, they can choose to refuse to participate in visitation

I wish you and your family well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,


LawTalk and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you