How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

28 yr marriage,marriage beganwhen i entered civil service.

Customer Question

28 yr marriage,marriage beganwhen i entered civil service. hence my civil service retirement encludes portions of my active military time. However the local county court awarded her half. Is this a local or federal decision???
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Civil service retirement is a matter of Federal Law. However, the law has imparted upon the court to use its discretion in awarding retirement in a divorce. As long as the order is acceptable to the Civil Service Retirement System, it will be accepted.