How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MD Custody Jurisdication Question My ex and I both live in

This answer was rated:

MD Custody Jurisdication Question: My ex and I both live in VA now, our initial and modified custody order were done in MD. She has been a VA resident for 5 months and I havae been here for 1 1/2 years. I filed for a venue change in Feb, the court denied because I have not finished paying the GAL that I had asked to be appointed during a custody filing that lasted two years and my ex still has custody. She has violated the order which stipulated that she provide me with a plotted calendar for the year and that I have have the children during specified times ,2 weekends me , them 1 weekend her etc.., and an extensive summer schedule. Her custody, as written in the order, is subject to the above. My question is which state has jurisdiction? The GAL still practices in the county where the order was issued and it is not far for either of us to appear in court there. I still meet and pick up the kids in the county where the order was issued.
MD would continue to have jurisdiction until you have settled the GAL fees. Once that is taken care of VA would have jurisdiction, specifically the county where the child is currently residing in. Your obligations to pay the GAL permit the state to have jurisdiction over the custody case until you have completed your obligations, then the court can release jurisdiction.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you