How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADY LAWYER Your Own Question
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LADY LAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you get child support if father is in prion

Resolved Question:

Can you get child support if father is in prion
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 8 years ago.



Can you tell me what state the father is incarcerated in? And also what state the child support was awarded in? Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The baby has not been born yet. The father has been sentenced to 2 years in DOC in Illinois.

Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 8 years ago.



Thank you. While you will not be able to get child support until the baby is actually born, it WILL start accruing even while the father is in jail. If he is not making an income, there will be no way to receive any money from him, BUT, once he gets out, he will still owe every cent that accumulated while he was in jail. He'll also keep having to pay you as well. You do need a child support order though for this to take place. Once the child is born, I suggest you file for a child support order right away. Many times, you can do this yourself at your local courthouse, but if you need legal aid, you will probably qualify for some sort of free or reduced help.

LADY LAWYER and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions