How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

have a question if the non custodial parent has not seen or

Customer Question

have a question if the non custodial parent has not seen or called the child in 2yrs or sent and money to take care of child does he still have rights to the child i have been told that tennessee laws it is after 4 mths of no support or contact that the parent loses all rights is that so thks...teresa
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.

This is true for the situation where the child is up for adoption. It may be applicable in the general case but the statute clearlystates it is for adoptionb.. If all it took to get out of child support obligations was to stay away, then there would be a quite a few non custodial paents avoiding their children. Here is the statute:


36-1-102. Part definitions. -

As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) (A) For purposes of terminating the parental or guardian rights of parent(s) or guardian(s) of a child to that child in order to make that child available for adoption, "abandonment" means that:
(i) For a period of four (4) consecutive months immediately preceding the filing of a proceeding or pleading to terminate the parental rights of the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the child who is the subject of the petition for termination of parental rights or adoption, that the parent(s) or guardian(s) either have willfully failed to visit or have willfully failed to support or have willfully failed to make reasonable payments toward the support of the child;




If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.


This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.