How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41601
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Long story short. Son born in Ga. Father and I never married.

This answer was rated:

Long story short. Son born in Ga. Father and I never married. Paternity established via DNA test. Child support order being paid by IDO put in place by the courts. I am the custodial parent and I want the child support to stop. What do I do?? Thank you.
Thanks for the question. The only way to stop this without going to court is an indirect method. You just write the ex a check here each month and rebate the support. Honestly this protects you in case your life situation changes.

Otherwise you would have to return to court and convince the judge to modify the orders here. And he may or may not agree that is in the best interests of the child. Why not just rebate the money each month if you don't want it. Write him a check for the amount of the supprot and mail it each month.Same result and no court needed..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Let me ask this, my ultimate goal is for my husband to adopt my son. If I return all of his payments via check for six consecutive months, is that grounds to petition for adopton on the basis of abandonment? Also, my son does not know his biological father. His father has not seen him since he was 2 yrs of age and prior to that it was not that often.

No if he is paying here likely they won't allow it. Paying support really is the minimum here ot prevetn termination.It is still possible that the court finds abandonment but highly unlikely. Sorry but if he has a good payment record unless there is abuse or neglect during visitation likely this won't happen. I am just trying to be honest with you here.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He isn't up to date on his child support. For a period of 5 months straight he didn't pay any child support from Dec of 2007 to May of 2008. He doesn't have any visitation. He hasn't seen my son since he was 2 my son will be turning 7 in a couple of months. Does the lack or absence of a relationship count for nothing? Also the child support case status is "enforcement" as you know basically meaning that child support is not being paid as ordered. However since I closed my case with child support enforcement they will do nothing at this time. (This was definately the last question and I will accept the next answer)
Then this puts a different light on it here. You may well file for both nonsupport and abandonment. Argue both and that it is in the best interests of the child to terminate. This makes it much more likely for a court to terminate if no visitation here and no support.

Sorry for the confusion. If your husband wants to step parent adoption then get a lawyer here and file for it. I think this is certainly possible if he has been sporadic with the support and no visitation. Good luck here

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions