How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

CPS came by my home unexpectedly today. I am a single mother

This answer was rated:

CPS came by my home unexpectedly today. I am a single mother who works as a dancer, and I believe I am a good mother in every way. My mom or my next-door neighbor babysit when I work. I recently called police about the teen aged kids of a neighbor who took my kids toys from my yard after he would not do anything with it, and I suspect he did this to get even. I do not know for sure, of course. I thought CPS came to talk about his kids. I let them in, I told them everything they asked (I think now I should not have done that, but I did). They took phone numbers of relatives and friends and interviewed my boyfriend (a decent guy) and my mom. They left me a card with the name of a day-care center on it, but said nothing else, and left. I have been crying all day. I do not know what to do. Should I get a lawyer (I can barely pay my rent, I am struggling to get along). I do not know what will happen next, and I do not know what to do. I am in Holiday Florida. I am frightened.



You already spoke to them and answered their questions. If they contact you again, arrange for a lawyer to meet them at their office. The agent appears to have not found any urgent problems with your parenting or typically they would have taken your child into custody at that time.

Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you