Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

how do i find out my ex spouses income in order to update

Customer Question
how do i find out...
how do i find out my ex spouse's income in order to update child support
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/5/2009
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Your current child support order usually provides when the parents are supposed to exchange their financial information. Usually it is once a year where the parents are to exchange income information (tax forms and recent pay stubs). So that information should be in your child support orders and you should be able to request this from them. If you have a case with the child support enforcement agency then they can request the paperwork on your behalf. If the ex spouse refuses to comply you can file a contempt action for violating those orders. So look over your paperwork.

Typically the process is like this:

• Once a year you can ask the other parent in writing to provide documents such as tax returns and pay stubs showing their income for the prior calendar year.
  • Within 30 days of the written request, the other parent must provide the documents to you.
  • You must also provide the other parent with documentation of your annual income for the same period that you are asking for their income information.
  • Do NOT file the written request in court. It is just between the parties.
  • You can only request the other parent's income information once a year. However, within a court case you can request this information through the discovery process.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer