How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question I currently have court orders for child support through

Resolved Question:

Question: I currently have court orders for child support through the Attorney Generals office, and according to them, because my divorce papers were not written for enforcement, I will need to go through the system. My ex is 17k behind in payments over the last 3 years. Can I have my child support enforced through another program?

Thank you.
Corinne Gowan
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

There is only one real way to enforce child support (unless the support obligor lives in a different State than the support obligee). That method is through the court's contempt powers.


You can either file a case with the AG's office or you can file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt in court and attempt to prove the contempt yourself.


Contempt is difficult to prove, because procedurally, it requires proof beyond reasonable doubt. So, although you can certainly go the "do-it-yourself" route, you my be biting off a big "chunk" of work for yourself, unless you hire a lawyer, which will cost money -- and that's probably something that you don't have.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions