Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Question I currently have court orders for child support through

Customer Question
Question: I currently have court...
Question: I currently have court orders for child support through the Attorney Generals office, and according to them, because my divorce papers were not written for enforcement, I will need to go through the system. My ex is 17k behind in payments over the last 3 years. Can I have my child support enforced through another program?

Thank you.
Corinne Gowan
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2009
Family Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

There is only one real way to enforce child support (unless the support obligor lives in a different State than the support obligee). That method is through the court's contempt powers.

You can either file a case with the AG's office or you can file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt in court and attempt to prove the contempt yourself.

Contempt is difficult to prove, because procedurally, it requires proof beyond reasonable doubt. So, although you can certainly go the "do-it-yourself" route, you my be biting off a big "chunk" of work for yourself, unless you hire a lawyer, which will cost money -- and that's probably something that you don't have.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer