How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am living with my girlfriend, we broke up and she wants to

Resolved Question:

I am living with my girlfriend, we broke up
and she wants to take the baby(19mos)
She said I can see the baby anytime I want or take her, but Id like to get joint legal custody for my safety, is this possible
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

Yes, certainly you can draft a custodial agreement as between yourselves and then go file such with the court to make if of record.


Yes, if your fearful that she might attempt to leave the country or even the county where you both now reside - most definitely get a custodial order in effect and have it signed by a judge. Then, if she attempts to leave, she will be in contempt of court. However, she could always ask the court for permission to relocate - then it would be the court's decision but only after you've been given an opportunity to argue against such.

Law Pro and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions