How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I over heard a conversation that my ex-husbands new wife was

This answer was rated:

I over heard a conversation that my ex-husband's new wife was having with another parent at my daughters softball practice. The other parent introduced her to someone esle as my daughter's mother. The ex-husbands new wife didn't dispute it or any way deny that she was not in fact her mother. According to our custody agreement I have custody and he has visitation. Do I have any legal recourse against the ex-husbands new wife in this situation for falsley claiming to be my daughter's mother?
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.


There is no legal recourse if it was a casual situation and she was not holding herself out as your child's legal guardian or something similar to that.


However, you could insist with your ex that the children call her by her first name and not call her mom, and that in the future she inform others that she is not the biological mother of the children should it come up again.


You and your husband have a legal obligation to work together in the best interests of the children and having to call a second woman mommy would likely not be in their best interests. In addition, if she every attempts to sign documents holding herself out as the children's mother, you could file suit for misrepresenting her identity.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,




Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you