How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, my wife asked for a divorce in California. in

This answer was rated:

Good morning, my wife asked for a divorce in California. in the divorce I was provided spousal support (which is to be paid on the first of every month). She seems to find it funny to always be late with the payments. Is this a Contempt of Court, Complaint for - a legal action for any deliberate failure to comply with the legal process, including the disruption of the court, a failure to obey a court order or judgment. My bills are due on the 1st of the month and I get penalties and fines when late, is there something I can do about this?

Thank you for your question.


Yes, it does constitute contempt of court to be late with spousal support. You can file a motion for contempt and you can also ask that her wages be garnished so that you receive your alimony in a timely fashion and directly from her employer.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can I go about filing a complaint, do I need a lawyer to do this or can I find the channel myself. The court is the Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara?

You do not necessarily need a lawyer to file the annulment proceedings. CA courts have an excellent self-help resource which shows all the forms and answers some questions here:



Lady Themis and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Please disregard my previous post. I apologize.


The information you will need is here:


You can do this yourself. Of course it is always advisable to have an attorney, but the proceedings are somewhat straight-forward.