How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter in law (x) wants to move out of state with my sons

Customer Question

My daughter in law (x) wants to move out of state with my son's two children, he is in a drug programs right now and she is trying to use that to show how bad he is....will the court let her move even if he doesn't want them to go out of state...she & the children and my son still lives with us but in separate rooms of course...what is his rights and what are are, they have lived with us since they were born
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.


The court must consider the best interests of the children in determining whether to allow her to move out of state. If it is for a job or other legitimate reason, the court usually grants such requests, but would order her to pay the additional costs of transportation for visitation.


As a grandparent, you may try to intervene in the case since the children have lived with you since they were born. You could request visitation or even custody if there is a good basis for it, but you would need to retain an attorney and counselor for the children to determine that visitation or custody would be in the best interests of the children.

Please let me know if you need additional information.


Best regards,



Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.