How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116817
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

why do i or we need an attorney for joint custody when we both

Resolved Question:

why do i or we need an attorney for joint custody when we both agree to all the conditions we have set up. can we just write a diocument and have it notorized? is there joint custody papers avaiable we can fill out ourself, without an attorney. both parties agree to the arragements
We cannot afford an attorney.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If both parties agree on all of the terms of the custody arrangement, you do not really need an attorney. What you need to do is copy the heading from one of the other court documents (court name, case name, case number) then title your document "Joint Custody Agreement" and you list each provision of the agreement in numbered paragraphs. Make sure to include provisions for any deviations from the agreement for things that pop up, like if one of you have some special event that the child should attend and it falls on a time when the other parent should have custody. Also, make sure you include all of the specifics about decision making, pick up/drop off of the child, school matters, participation in sports or extra curricular activities and everything else you can think of regarding what the child may need in the future. Then put a statement that you have both discussed the above issues and agreed to them voluntarily without any coercion. Then both of you sign it and have your signatures notarized and file it with the court in your case.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions