How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently found out that my ex husband has been trying to

Customer Question

I recently found out that my ex husband has been trying to gain a line of credit by using my social security info and claiming we are still married even though we have been divorced for over 6 months now, separated for over 3 years. I filed a compliant with my local police department under the advisement of one of the banks that he was trying to use. Now my ex has gone to family court and claimed that he signed his divorce papers under duress and that he was not in the right state of mind when he did so.

Now I have been told that I have to go to family court all over and even get psychological evaluation. I'm under the impression that he's doing this in order to cover up his misdeeds in trying to obtain credit in my name. What should I do? I just want this to be over so I can get on with my life.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

He's really nuts - sorry.


What are the police doing with the information? Because, regardless married or not - he can't use your personal information without your consent.


What state are you in?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The police haven't contacted me since I filed the report. I do think they contacted him though. I live in New Jersey. When we were divorced I signed away my rights to everything just to speed the procces along. I even let him have our home that was valued at just over 900k.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

I understand - maybe it's you that were under duress at the time!


However, I would follow up with the police. If you get no satisfaction from them - then file a private criminal complaint yourself with the District Attorney's office.


Who told you that you needed to get psychological evaluations?


Was he represented by counsel in the divorce action?


Were you represented by counsel in the divorce action?


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes we were both being represented by counsel at the time of divorce. A representative of the county branch called me and told me of what was going on. And that I had to go down there to get evaluated.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

That's just nuts!!!! He was represented by counsel - what was the alleged duress?


The definition of duress >n. threats, violence, etc. used to coerce a person into doing something. ->Law constraint illegally exercised to force someone to perform an act.


Just what is he claiming you did?


Have you contacted the attorney who represented you about this?

Related Family Law Questions