Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
11688690

I was wondering if you can get a copy of a abuse order if you

I was wondering if you can get a copy of a abuse order if you are not one of the parties. However one of the parties involved is your ex that you are fighting with in court for cousity of a child? I live in Vermont. I just want to know if I can obtain and abuse order that isn't mine?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
Depending upon what state and whom it was against. Do you know where, when, and against/for whom it was entered? Too, what type of case was it - a battle between ex and a friend or what?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It was in vermont in Barre City. It was about a month ago. It was something that happened between my ex husband and his new girlfiend.The order was issued on my ex.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you can get the information. There are potentially 2 places the information could be - in the criminal division or the family division (even though they weren't married).

What your going to have to do is go to the court house and look up their names. Then once you have found their names in the index - the index will also tell you the file number. Then ask the clerk to look at the file. The clerk will give you the file and then you can even make a copy of such or whatever you want within the file - it's a public record.

Then you can use that information in whatever case your in currently - it's called res judicata.

Res iudicata or res judicata (RJ) is the Latin term for "a matter [already] judged".