How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering if you can get a copy of a abuse order if you

Resolved Question:

I was wondering if you can get a copy of a abuse order if you are not one of the parties. However one of the parties involved is your ex that you are fighting with in court for cousity of a child? I live in Vermont. I just want to know if I can obtain and abuse order that isn't mine?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
Depending upon what state and whom it was against. Do you know where, when, and against/for whom it was entered? Too, what type of case was it - a battle between ex and a friend or what?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It was in vermont in Barre City. It was about a month ago. It was something that happened between my ex husband and his new girlfiend.The order was issued on my ex.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you can get the information. There are potentially 2 places the information could be - in the criminal division or the family division (even though they weren't married).


What your going to have to do is go to the court house and look up their names. Then once you have found their names in the index - the index will also tell you the file number. Then ask the clerk to look at the file. The clerk will give you the file and then you can even make a copy of such or whatever you want within the file - it's a public record.


Then you can use that information in whatever case your in currently - it's called res judicata.


Res iudicata or res judicata (RJ) is the Latin term for "a matter [already] judged".




Law Pro and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you